Changing Dynamics Of A Good School -
Definitions are supposed to be dynamic in today's fast changing world. So 'What', what it should be?, What it is supposed to be needs to change constantly and I don't mean necessarily frequently.
What are schools composed of? Primarily at base they are humans, a thought / thoughts, culture and base of growth. If I consider them as an ecosystem, each impacts others. For eg rains impact streams, streams impact the water flow, Water brings growth, so on and so forth. Contrary when there is a flood or a drought it ruins in a reverse manner.
Our schools are no less than an Ecosystem with components of teachers, school management, parents, students, culture around, governing authorities. Each impacts others in one or other way. Good or Bad is a debatable and situational question to answer.
The Purpose Of School In An Era Of Change
What should be taught by schools, when and How? questions which are difficult to answer but unavoidable. Even after the schools know what to teach, the How to teach is the most complex one as it gets infused by human perceptions on the right method to teach. How we can use what we have to teach it - If we don’t see the issue in its full context, we’re settling for glimpses.
Most modern academic standards take a body-of-knowledge approach to education. This, to me, seems to be a dated approach to learning that continues to hamper our attempts to innovate.
Education as a system needs to be as dynamic as digital technology. Agility has to be in the core of the education curriculum so that the system reacts to any changes in surrounding as swift as it should be. By giving a fresh thought to how should be a curiculum be designed would be the start of a modern approach and start of transformation of the learning process.
In previous times Reading, Writing, basic arithmetic would symbolize Education system. Introduction of various other streams, deeper understanding of each aspect of learning brought in a different complexity and wide range of topics to include in the learning system.
Than came an era of information systems and education system took a sharp turn but not at the speed it should have been. With a few smart brains turning around the whole process at much higher speed for leaving the education system to struggle on its own.
A curriculum-first school design is based on the underlying assumption that if they know this and can do this, that this will be the result. Of course, it doesn’t always work out that way. Worse, we tend to celebrate school success instead of people success. We create ‘good schools’ that graduate scores of students with very little hope for the future. How crazy is that?
How can a school call itself ‘good’ when it produces students that don’t know themselves, the world, or their place in it?
How about to bring in the learning process of teaching students 'How to Think' - Well we have reached this stage as evolving technologies, over access of information, no anchor to accurate data, wide gaps of socioeconomic status has raised this question now.
My personal view of differentiation from an ordinary school to being a Good school might be taking few pointers from below:
- A good school adapts quickly to social changes so that it remains in line with changing times and never outdated. This is the KEY.
- A good school uses every resource, advantage, gift, and opportunity it has to grow students and tends to see more resources, advantages, gifts, and opportunities than lower-performing schools.
- A good school produces students that read and write because they want to.
- A good school admits its limitations & shortcomings while working together and strives towards the concept of a ‘World Stage ’ to grow.
- A good school has different and variety of measures of success–measures that can be some what dynamic to ensure families and communities understand and value.
- A good school is full of students who know what’s worth understanding.
- A good school is full of students that not only ask questions frequently, but do so with lots of passion and in-depth thinking
- A good school changes students; students change great schools.
- A good school understands the difference between a bad idea and the bad implementation of a good idea.
- Teacher capacity& development is another aspect which a good school will ensure over a period of time.
- Never to make empty promises, create misleading mission statements, or mislead parents and community-members with edu-jargon - are the virtues to abide from a good school.
- A good school teaches How to think
- A good school doesn't only make learn content but teaches a thought forever.
What do you think about Changing Dynamics of a Good School? Send your thoughts and suggestions at [email protected]