All of us agree to this point that reading to our children is very important but very few knows that toddlers and pre-schoolers who are read to every day have many advantages and benefits. Not only does reading enhance a child’s vocabulary, and to help them understand how to read and write, but reading aloud to children also helps them to understand different topics about the world and everyday life. The importance of reading cannot be emphasized enough in young children and as a parent, we need to make reading a priority.
There is a long list of benefits kids gets but here is a snapshot of how important books and stories are for children.
- Sitting down with a book provides children with a time for quiet and calmness in their busy lives
- Stories can stimulate imaginationand play
- Reading provides parents with more opportunities to bond with their children
- Stories provoke curiosity and discussion
- Books provides inspiration, thought and reflection
- Picture books help readers to develop an appreciation for art and writing
- Reading a variety of books exposes children to a wide range of language features and vocabulary
- Listening to stories assists in the development of literacy skills and language development
- Exposure to books contributes to the understanding of print concepts (eg. left to right, top to bottom)
- Books and stories fill a child’s mind with knowledge
Hence it is very important for us as a parent to introduce reading to our kids. These day’s you can find many books in stores with pictorial form of storytelling. These books can be a great way to introduce books and reading to young children.
Also read: How to get good marks or grades in school
Send your thoughts and suggestions at [email protected]