Pets And Children: Benefits of Pets- Dogs For Kids -
Anyone who owns a pet knows how great it feels to come home at the end of the day to a dog that is completely ecstatic to see you, or to a pet that welcomes you with a quiet but insistent brush against your legs. That sense of unconditional love feels fantastic, and the benefits of pet ownership don’t end there. Having a pet gives us an incredible variety of emotional, social and physical benefits.
There are so many benefits that pets provide for kids! It's easy for kids to get wrapped up in the idea of owning a new pet, but it's up to their parents to make sure the experience is a positive one and that the pets receive the care they need for their entire lives.
Here are several positive reasons you might not have thought of to bring a pet home for your kids:
1. Emotional benefits of pets
A pet’s unconditional love for their owner is the obvious emotional benefit of having a pet. That love can help us get through hard times like daily stress. Pets also give us something to focus on beyond ourselves, keeping us present in the here and now when we might otherwise be distracted by difficulties or problems.
2. Social benefits of pets
If you’ve ever taken your dog for a walk around the block, you know that they are people magnets! Studies have shown that pets can be great icebreakers – they provide the perfect excuse to talk to a stranger and can help conversations blossom.
3. Physical benefits of pets
The good feelings we get from our pets translate to health benefits, too. Many researchers have examined the positive health benefits of pets on a variety of medical conditions. They suggest that having a pet might lower your blood pressure, decrease your risk of heart disease and decrease obesity.
Benefits of Dogs for Child Development:
- Nurturing a Dog is an acceptable way for boys to "parent play"—to practice being caregivers.
- Feeding and caring for a Dog encourages childhood responsibility.
- Children with Dog display improved impulse control, social skills and self-esteem.
- Sharing the love and care of a family Dog forges an additional common bond among siblings.
- Cuddling a Dog reduces stress, loneliness and anxiety.
- Children who grow up in homes with pets have less risk of developing common allergies and asthma.
- Playing with dogs may help lower blood pressure.
- Kids with Dog get outside more—to go for walks, run and play—and enjoy all the associated health benefits.
- Emerging readers often feel more comfortable reading aloud to a Dog.
Do you find pets being good for your kids, send your thoughts/suggestion to [email protected]