Children can never learn discipline if parent are not disciplined in their own life. The best school or institution to learn discipline is HOME and the best teachers are parent. The key to discipline doesn’t mean that parent have to be strict rather they have to be more friendly yet best mentor.
There is an Old saying that Discipline helps us to get things done.
Definition of Discipline (For Parent): It is the duty of helping children learn to behave in acceptable ways within family and within society as well. It also requires guiding children to understand the importance of time management.
There is big myth that discipline means punishment but it actually means giving the right direction. Punishment is a tiny part of discipline that should be imposed when it is really required. Parent can play immense role in children’s life to live a successful and disciplined life in all the aspects but it can never be possible if parent don’t follow the same in their own life. Parent can be the best role model and children can learn a lot from them.
The parent can discipline a child without having an attachment to the child but a strong bond between the parent and child is very effective …making the process of disciplining easier.
Key points: Raising well behaved and disciplined kids:
- Listen and respond to your child’s feelings as well as their words
- Show respect for your child’s unique ideas and opinions
- Give your child age-appropriate responsibilities or tasks at home.
- Avoiding destructive behaviour such as anger, insulting, shaming is the MUST
- Physical affections such as hugs, pats, sitting together to talk or read or watch are imperative
- Make them feel that you trust them because they can’t learn anything without trust
It is also very important to keep reminding or talking to children the value of discipline in daily life. Parent should not just depend on schools to teach discipline to children instead become a right teacher. Home is the first school where a child goes to before going for formal education process.
FISAF Singapore Certified Personal Trainer
Email: [email protected]